Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hyypia shocked after Champions League snub

Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia has admitted he faces an uncertain future at Anfield after being left out of the club's 25-man Champions League squad.

Empics

The Finland international has been at Anfield since 1999.

The 34-year-old Finn said: "The manager's decision to leave me out of the squad is a big disappointment.

"I understand it's partly because of the UEFA regulations, but the news came as a surprise to me and a shock too."

The Finland international was subject to a bid from Stoke City during the summer, but Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez would not let him go and now new UEFA regulations, which mean clubs have to include at least eight home-grown players in their squad, have limited his chances of playing.

"They didn't want me to move elsewhere, so that's why I was told the news of having been left out, just after the transfer window had closed,'' he said.

"The club went public to say there had been offers for me, but turned them down. So perhaps that means I am still part of the plans for this season.

"I don't know if I would have wanted to move on had I heard news about the squad when the window was still open."

UEFA rules state that four players in the 25-man party must be produced by the club's own academy, while four others can be produced by an English academy.

Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Jay Spearing and Stephen Darby make up the contingent from Liverpool, while Robbie Keane, Jermaine Pennant, Steven Irwin and Martin Kelly are the other four.

Hyypia has made 446 appearances for the Reds since signing from Dutch club Willem II in May 1999, although the veteran's place has been under threat from new signings Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger this season.

source: soccernet

No comments: