Thursday, August 28, 2008

Predicting The 2012 US Men's Olympic Basketball Team

What Team USA 2012 could be..


One final Olympic basketball thought before I put basketball on the back shelf for a few minutes and jump in headfirst to a big pool of football goodness.

Yes, I'm already thinking about 2012 and who will represent the United States basketball team in London. The Repeat Team? OK, that's weak, but the lineup should be just as strong.

The Superstars

I think we can assume Kobe Bryant won't be back. Three more summers of commitment is a lot to ask. I'm thrilled he delivered on his goal to help Team USA win gold and will forever respect him for that. The tougher question is whether Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade will return? I say no on the latter two, but I think Lebron genuinely enjoys representing his country and as an added bonus, can't pass on the international marketing that's generated by such an event. For the sake of this task, we'll keep him on the team.

Next Gen Stars

Deron Williams, Chris Paul and Dwight Howard will all be back. At least, I sure hope so. Chris Bosh would be welcome back, but I think there's a chance that a few young guys could steal his spot.

The Rest

Jason Kidd? Absolutely not. Michael Redd? They'll find a new token shooter. Tayshaun Prince? Always welcome on my team, but I doubt he returns. Carlos Boozer? Doubtful.

Lets go with the assumption then that James, Paul, Williams, Bosh and Howard are the holdovers from the Redeem Team.

New Additions

Kevin Durant and Greg Oden are likely choices, and good ones at that. By 2012, you'd like to think both will have been multiple All-Stars and faces of the NBA.

Andre Igoudala is not exactly Kobe Bryant or Dwyane Wade, but I expect him to be borderline superstar status in the next few years and would surely like to join this elite group .

Brandon Roy can provide some added leadership and play the two-guard, not to mention add to Lebron's defensive intensity.

With Williams and Paul, only one more point guard is needed. Do you go with a Derrick Rose if he fulfills expectations or a guy I firmly believe will be a star by 2012, Rodney Stuckey? Stuckey's my guy.

Michael Redd was called on to be the designated outside shooter, and while he's clearly a good man for the task, his performance was just average and they should go with a new trigger in London. Adam Morrison. Just kidding. I'd add a guy like Steve Novak or Daniel Gibson. Not exactly the star power, so you'll see a Rudy Gay instead.

One more spot, we'll call it the Carlos Boozer role. Al Horford is a carbon copy, but I'll root for Kevin Love. Either one would be make a great power forward to cheer on the bench.

source: fanIQ

No comments: