Saturday, August 23, 2008

I still want to leave Real Madrid - Robinho

Real Madrid's want-away winger Robinho has told the Spanish press that he wants to leave the club and join Chelsea.

Robinho

Picture/AFP

Robinho told EFE: 'Staying at Real Madrid is not my objective for the season. My wish is to play in the English League, Chelsea have a great squad, a great team, it will be a good deal for me and the club.'

'It's not for the money, it's simply that I want to play in the English League. I've completed a cycle, I've played three seasons at Real Madrid and I've given everything.

'I've scored goals and we've won two leagues, which isn't easy. I believe my time at Real Madrid is at an end. I hope that the directors come to an agreement with Chelsea to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

'Every player is different. I have my own personality and character. I haven't spoken to the press before to avoid controversy, but now I'm telling the truth. I want to leave.'

Earlier, Spanish media reports claimed a fee of £32million had been quoted by Real Madrid. And the player's agent, Wagner Ribiero, has confirmed Real could be ready to sell.

It is believed Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has now flown out to Spain to thrash out the final details of the transfer, pulling out of a trip to the Olympics.

Ribeiro said: 'The president said to Robinho that if a 40 million euros (£32million) offer appears, he would let him leave. So I have to say that until Aug 31 everything is possible. Until the transfer window is closed, I can't say where Robinho will play this season.

'Robinho never said that he wasn't comfortable at Real Madrid but the thing is that he has a financial offer that is very interesting, it's only that.'

Robinho is desperate for a move to London and it now seems likely the deal will beat the deadline, which for English clubs runs until September 1. He was upset by stories which claimed he would be sold to fund a move for Cristiano Ronaldo and also by the club's decision to block his participation at this month's Olympic Games.

It seems unlikely that Chelsea would continue their pursuit of AC Milan midfielder Kaka should the Robinho deal come to fruition - especially if, as now seems likely, Andrei Shevchenko's return to the San Siro falls through.

The addition of Robinho will come as a boost to a side which has few options up front with Didier Drogba thought to be on the treatment table for another month at least due to his knee injury.

Although Salomon Kalou is now back from the Olympics he has struggled to score consistently, so with Scolari reluctant to use Shevchenko he has only Nicolas Anelka to rely on up front.

source:soccernet

No comments: